Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What A Mess....

Last Thursday around 11:30 pm, I woke up to hear a bubbling sound - the kids and I were sleeping in the basement since we were in tornado watch. I walk over to the sump pump and see it working hard and so I go into the bathroom and step in water.....and see this rush of water coming out of the shower drain. I immediately went into a panic since hubby was still over six hours away. I ended up calling my dad and he came over and called 911, we went outside and our neighbors were experiencing this same thing. After about 12 hours of sewage water coming into our basement, it stopped, but only after hubby called the DNR to report that the city of Windsor Heights was not willing to do anything to help.

So we spent Saturday tearing out carpet, collecting our damaged items and then finally disinfecting the basement. Yet, more was to come.....

Sunday about 11:00 am, I went downstairs to remove some more of what was "saved" and sure enough I hear the sound again and here comes sewage coming out of the shower and toilet. This time it was twice as fast and disgusting, we had about 13 inches of sewage floating in our basement, anything that was saved, was now ruined. Hubby asked if the city was going to bypass again, to which he was told no...so hubby had to call the DNR again and what do you know...here comes the city to begin pumping. The second incident lasted about 22 hours - once is hard enough, but twice - I was ready to melt, however, I knew that I wasn't the only one going through it and I didn't want my babies to know something was wrong. At one point, I did start to cry and my sweet pea came over and handed me her blankie. I just wrapped my arms around her!

So we are now cleaned up, but it is still a mess and we don't know if it will happen again....I suppose we will find out soon...

2 comments:

The Woody Family said...

My goodness Dena. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Alan and Maria said...

gosh dena, sounds horrible and so scary! i do hope and pray you and your family are ok.