Monday, June 17, 2013

Summer Sun, Fun has Begun......

Right before summer break, I was able to take a girls weekend trip to Indiana....yes, Indiana - Fremont to be exact. It is the half way point between where I live and where a couple of my friends live. We thought since it is such a long drive to visit each other, why not meet halfway and thankfully it worked out with every one's schedule. It has been several years since I've last since these girls and it was so great to catch up and just relax - we all have two children each, so taking time to for a weekend getaway like this was great. I did get momentarily lost when my GPS started rerouting me to a hotel in Michigan. The town was small and hopefully we will get to do this again sooner rather than later. I definitely miss those girls!


Summer break has finally arrived and you would think my kids are yelling with excitement, but my kids are counting down the days till school starts up again. Yes, they cried when school was over, both of my kids would love it if school were year round and the fact they enjoy it that much makes me happy.
To kick off our summer, we took a spur of the moment trip to Kansas City Legoland - we just went down for the day and didn't tell the kids, which considering we spent a good portion of time in the car, was tricky. Once we got about 20 miles outside of Kansas City, we spilled the beans and I honestly wish I had recorded the moment. You would have thought we won the lottery or a trip to Disney - it was priceless.
So, we spend the day doing whatever they wanted to do at Legoland and then went to dinner before heading back. I initially didn't want to go, but once we were there and just having fun, was well worth it.


We've got the kiddies signed up for the summer reading program at the library, they have been reading almost everyday and I think only because the idea of earning a "prize" from the library sounds so alluring to them, it is the driving force behind their reading. We'll be keeping busy with other activities and happenings as well. One of my cousins will be visiting from NZ and I'm so excited to see him! He is so much fun and it's great to just spend hours catching up. The last time he was here, we were up till dawn just talking about our hopes, dreams, and reminiscing of our childhood. We are a lot a like, which is why I think we are so close. I miss him and I'm definitely excited that he is coming for a visit!

And of course, summer is not complete without a project or two - the hubby has been trying his hand at repurposing old pallets - he made us a wine bar table and a wine rack for our backyard.....pretty crafty that man of mine!




“Come with me,' Mom says.
To the library.
Books and summertime
go together.”
  - Lisa Schroeder

No comments: