Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Reflections

Yes, it is that time of year...lights glistening, the smells of baking, and the wrapping of things. And of course as the year closes, I've been reflecting on Christmas pasts and the year in general.
I've been thinking of my grandparents lately and cherishing those memories that I hold close to my heart.
This year has definitely been a year of transformation for us - I've let go of a lot of negative feelings and as a family we decided to become more healthy and aware of what we are eating. In fact, this Christmas dinner we will be having a whole foods (non-processed) dinner - we are making everything with fresh produce and whole grain flour - the hubbers was in charge of the pastry for our pies and we pretty much spent the entire morning today in the kitchen prepping for dinner tomorrow.
On the menu is Pumpkin French Toast bake, Christmas Quiche, Squash/Barley Pie, Cornbread stuffing, potatoes, and carrots. I will say it is a lot of extra work, but it is worth it - we feel great about what we are eating and it was fun working in the kitchen together.
I really feel 2013 has been a year full of blessings for us - I feel great, the kids make me laugh, my parents are doing good and life in general is feckin' awesome. Which is hard, because so many close to us experience a year of loss in some way or another and my heart would ache and I hope those who have experience loss this year, I hope that next year will be filled with many blessings.

However you spend your Christmas, I hope you are blessed in every way that brings you joy and peace!

“And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow,
stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.”- Dr. Seuss

No comments: