It was nine years ago, when she came into my life - I had no idea what "motherhood" would be like and I was scared as I held this wee blue-eyed, blonde hair child, who look nothing like me, but for her wee nose.
I had no idea what we were getting into, starting a family - there are no rules and any books I read overwhelmed me.
But, as I held her in my arms and she wrapped her tiny fingers around mine, I thought, did I really help create this beautiful girl and immediately my ideas of motherhood had changed. As the years have past, I still really have no idea what we are doing, I just hope and pray we are making the best decisions not just for her, but for both my children. They come first in any decision we make and I've always lead with that.
So today, she turns NINE and I want to cry, not because I'm sad, but because it has all transformed so quickly. She has gone from singing nursery rhymes to songs of her own, she has gone from me reading her bedtime stories to her reading them to me. And she is developing into this free-spirited, independent, amazingly smart and confident, wee girl - she questions everything and although sometimes I'd like her to just say, "okay," I wouldn't have it any other way.
It reminds me of when my dad came home from sea, he had missed one of my birthdays, and when he came back, he said, "will you stay my little girl forever," and I said "forever." I always had this idea of what it was like to be a parent, but you really have no idea until you become one, you are forever changed, forever protective and I look at her and think.."if only you could stay my little girl forever," but I know that simply isn't the case...we will grow, we will get older...all I can do is guide her through the years and hope that one day she will become whatever her heart desires.
Happy Birthday Sweetpea!
“I sometimes wake in the early morning & listen to the soft
breathing of my child & I think to myself, this is one thing I will
never regret & I carry that quiet with me all day long.”
- Brian Andreas

No comments:
Post a Comment