It is Christmas Eve and although I worked for about half of the day, the kids and I enjoyed the day. We talked about the Christmas Story, which lead to a discussion about different religions and how similar and different each religion is. The kids asked if we practice a specific religion and I said no, but that I think it is important that they know about different religions because at some point in their life one or none may speak to them. I told them the important thing is that we do the right thing and we treat people with kindness even if someone doesn't deserve our kindness. We shared memories of times past, sang Christmas songs, danced a bit, and then invited nana over for a cup of tea and cookies.
As Christmas is always a time of reflection for me, I feel so blessed and I'm thankful everyday for what I have and the people around me.
We did our advent Random Acts of Kindness and the last one was take treats to the fire/police station, so we did that and the kids asked if we can do this every year. I said of course, because I'm never going to tell them no when it comes to giving and doing things for others.
I got an early present...the hubs surprised me with a whole new home office, which I desperately needed. My desk was falling apart, but I kept making excuses about purchasing a new one. I said maybe one more year and not to mention that half of the space was the kids playroom, so there were toys everywhere. The kids and hubby spent the day painting and putting together a new office, my dad even pitched in and helped carry it in. When they finally showed me I was stunned and overwhelmed with emotion. I truly have an amazing family.
Christmas is always a time of bonding and I struggle with how to help those who are struggling during this time regardless if it is personal issues, financial, or whatever the reason. The hubs and I were talking about how good it feels to give and I wish I had the means to truly impact people's lives in a positive way. I try to do what I can, but I always feel it is not enough.
I started to get a bit emotional, not in a bad way, but in a "your heart is so full and feels like it will burst" kind of way and called my parents to tell them how much I love them. I know there are people who struggle in some sort of way, I know that there is disharmony in the world, I know we are destroying this earth, I know we treat some people in unkind ways and yet I try to look for all the positives. I try to show my children that life is beautiful, that life is kind, and that life is short...tomorrow is not promised. So love often and love hard and be forgiving!
I'm not sure how you will spend your holiday, but I wish you a wonderful year, good health and all the blessings you desire!!!!
"Sit with someone special in a room lit only by Christmas tree lights and remember that your blessings outnumber your lights." - Unknown
No comments:
Post a Comment