I read Reka Basu's column regarding the sidewalks in Windsor Heights and seriously who knew the mighty would rally with such determination, such vigor, such force. With their "booing and heckles" for those in support and their "cheers and claps" for the anti-sidewalk folks. What a feat, going door to door, passing out their misinformed flyers out like candy. I too, would eat it all up based on what it states, unfortunately most of it is inaccurate.
But I will say, it's admirable to see so many get behind an issue, but the delivery and message it sends is absolutely laughable.
The whole thing sort of reminds me of the poem "Where the Sidewalks End," by Shil Silverstein - I can't fully remember it all, but I know it is something like "There is a place where the sidewalk ends and before the street begins...we will walk with a walk that is measured and slow, we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go, for the children, they mark, and they children, they know, the place where the sidewalk ends...." I know there is more that I'm likely forgetting, but that is all I remember.
It started to get me thinking, the anger these folks are all worked up about, how walking past those signs makes my kids feel, so I wrote this little poem, I hope you enjoy.
There is a place in Windsor Heights
where the sidewalks end,
30 plus years it's been,
no connectivity you will find.
and the neighbors, well,
they don't mind,
leave it this way,
no need to sway.
Windsor Heights is just fine
Unique they say....
Kids safety? Blah,
just go away,
this is no concern of mine,
The school, that pesky school
with those darn kids and
school traffic
is to blame
for these sidewalk woes.
Can't you all just pick up and go?
Let's put out our pretty yellow signs,
shouting "No Sidewalks" here,
My yard is my yard with my lovely green grass
and shall not be touched by the filth of concrete
or your child's little feet.
Stay off, stay off
You are not welcome here,
get out of here, move away
you must not stay, we don't want you here;
where the sidewalk ends.
Of course, I am being sarcastic, but some of these comments are based off of things that have really been said at some of these meetings.
I joke about this simply because I don't get it, I don't get the depth of anger that some of these people have? I mean, there are some people (I won't say names) who would walk by our house and give a wave, maybe stop and say hi, but they don't do that anymore - why? Over sidewalks?
If the city was really going to make residents pay, I'd get it, and I don't think residents should bear the cost either, however, that isn't the case. And the only thing that passed, was the ordinance. They didn't pass "sidewalks," so please pull your panties out of your arse and stop.
Nothing on this is final - the estimate, was exactly that an estimate (over priced estimate, I will admit) and if the city is smart, they will get more than one bid. I have heard from city officials that they will be working to get community input, so if they do, then this is the chance the community can have a say. If you want a say in how the sidewalks progress, then be willing to be cooperative and find common ground. All of us, bad, pro-sidewalk folks, we simply want a safe route to school - we've been open to ideas, to alternatives, but you angry anti-sidewalk folks; it's your way or no way.
And really we are talking about sidewalks, let me say that again, we are talking about sidewalks - communities are currently being torn apart because of much larger issues - just turn on the news to see it, police shootings, protests, pipelines, and this little city in the Midwest wants to get worked up over sidewalks. Welcome to Windsor Heights!
No comments:
Post a Comment