Monday, August 14, 2017

Is this really what's going on

We are shaped by our experiences, so what experiences does one go through that makes them so full of hate? I simply can not comprehend how one individual can look at another individual with such hatred and anger that it fills them with violence and rage, I've never been able to understand this and I don't understand how any one could support such ideals that support this behavior, even if you are hiding behind the excuse of "freedom of speech."
So as the events in Charlottesville began to unfold, I was again saddening by what was and did occur and the resulting hate that trickled down and into the social media world that we are all quick to turn and voice our opinions (myself included) to make some sort of sense out of it, but can we really?
Can there really be reason behind a group that spews hate, that incites violence and isn't open to understanding, but hides behind false realities while promoting and propagating fear and hate?
I'm simply at a loss with what is going on - have we really lost touch with our fellow human being that we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of our grandfathers?

How is it that so many people can forgot the many atrocities that this country has witnessed and so many have lost their lives, can we not be honest about these dark moments in this nation's history, I feel like as long as we continue to ignore these dark moments, we will succumb to repeating it.
My kids asked why they were protesting, I tried to explain it to them, but it was hard when I simply don't understand myself - what injustices have these white males endured that they felt compelled to protest? And if they feel threatened, explain what the threat is because I don't see it? Is it anxiety about the status of where white males stand? Are white males being profiled by police, are they being arrested and thrown into prisons by the masses, are they targets in various legislation, do they lack political representation?  These men who rallied are not disadvantaged, so let's just stop with "white lives matter" rhetoric - you may your hate behind the ruse of the first amendment, but we all know it is simply hate speech and fear mongering and all you are doing is trying to create more divide and more fear because that is what you do, that is easy to do. 

I find it so hard to explain to my children why people behave this way when there are countless examples from history that shows and proves how wrong bigotry, hate, and racism is -why have we not learned, why have we not grown, why are we consumed with hate?

Over the years, I've realized how consuming hate and anger are - it takes you over from the inside out until all that is left is hate and anger spewing out from you and Charlottesville was an accurate example of this, it seems lately that hate is so prevalent amidst our society and it's so contagious that most often the response to hate, is more hate, more anger and as hippy, new age-y as it sounds, where is the love? After speaking with my kids, they asked what can they do, and I said, we speak up when we see racism and we love, we love harder so that when anyone is around us, all they feel is loving kindness. And when you think about it, it takes absolutely nothing to hate, it's easy, it can be comforting, but like any negative behavior it is toxic and tricks you into feeling safe, when in reality you are not. Love is not easy, it means being vulnerable, it means being open, it means taking chances, love is the sense of being home and love is unmotivated.
And we must surrender to loving awareness,, however, most people associate "surrender" with giving up, but in reality it is letting go of the stuff that keeps us separate.
After hate driven events, so many people speak of love and kindness, but in the next moment attack someone with an opposing view, we've become quick to judge and shut down - there is no common ground. And when there is no common ground, no room to explore opposing views or try to reach a place of understanding, no tolerance and where does that leave us, but stuck.

I don't have the answers and I certainly don't claim to have them, but I worry for my children and the world they are witnessing.



No comments: