Thursday, August 7, 2008

So the testing begins....

My sister and I have both been doing some initial testing to see if we are potential kidney donors for my mom. For those who know me, know the story and for those who don't...the short story is my mom is in need of a kidney transplant.
Now, she has had two (one was immediate rejection and she never left the hospital and the second was from her sister). The second transplant lasted about six years and she began dialysis again in late 2006, she initially refused dialysis as she wasn't sure she wanted to go back to that lifestyle, but thankfully she accepted and has been doing great since (at least no hospital admissions). So, I started looking into kidney donation and was sent a packet of information, in the meantime, I find out my sister is doing the same. So we went to a couple of tests together and this phase is just the initial phase, seeing if we can even be a potential donor. My hubby was unsure, he didn't like the idea of me having to have surgery, but he wants my mom to be healthy.
Anyway, yesterday I got a call from transplant services and they informed me that while both my sister and I are good candidates, they are choosing my sister to go through the second round of testing. They felt since me having two small children that it would be just be additional stress of having to come to several appointments and then having to arrange childcare for six weeks would be challenging.
When she told me this, it was bittersweet - part of me wanted to help my mom in this way and the other part of me was a bit relieved as I was worrying about my kids, but it was something I really wanted to do.
So, my sister will begin the second round of testing and only when that is done will we know if there will be another transplant on the horizon. My mom at this moment, doesn't want it - she wants to wait...for what...only she knows. I only told her that she has to be prepared for it physically and mentally and that in the end the decision is hers alone.
I will support my sister in whatever capacity I can while she continues on with the testing - Good Luck Sis!

“I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.” - William Allen White

No comments: