Well what a night, my husband watched a movie while I was working on a Power Point presentation for one of my projects and then after the movie was finished, we went to bed. I do my typical routine, check on the kids, give kisses, etc...look out my son's window as always to see the shimmer of the moon and then went to our room.
It didn't seem long, before we hear this loud bang on our door, my husband goes to the door where a neighbor informs him that our shed in the backyard is on fire. I immediately jump up, run to my son's room, look out the window and stare in complete shock as flames are engulfing our shed where we built the chicken coop, so yes, the chickens.
I call 9-1-1, the dispatcher informs me that our neighbor called it in, he asks if anything flammable is in there, the lawnmower, gasoline tank, so yes.
It didn't take long for the fire trucks and police to arrive, I asked the policeman if I should evacuate my children from the house, as the flames were high, he said we should be okay. I'm sick to my stomach watching it, so I go inside to check on the kids, call my parents in panic and my sweet pea comes hiding from her room, she woke, saw the lights and looked outside her window. She wants to know if the chickens are okay, I tell her I don't know and squeeze her tight.
The fire department does their job, puts the fire out and the chickens are okay, thankfully they ran to the outside of the shed, but me, I'm still in shock. I have a fear of fires and this was too close to my comfort zone. It was our garden shed and thank you higher spirit that it was only our shed, it wasn't our home.
The fire department is still here, my husband is outside and I will get little sleep tonight. I've moved the kids into our bed because their rooms face the backyard and I just feel better with them in my room.
So, it looks like I will be delivering some sort of goodies to the fire department, not sure what yet, but it doesn't seem like "thank you" is enough for their service.
"As each day comes to us refreshed and anew, so does my gratitude renew itself daily. The breaking of the sun over the horizon is my grateful heart dawning upon a blessed world." ~Terri Guillemets
No comments:
Post a Comment