Thursday, March 29, 2012

All Around Sadness.....

So, I've spent the last few days in Atlanta and watching the news in the evening is sad...most all major networks are discussing the Trayvon Martin incident and all try to spin their angle. What happened to that young man is awful and it breaks my heart. And the man who shot this boy will have to live with the consequences of his actions and I'm not going to speculate about what I think happened or didn't happen because that is not my job.

What I find disturbing in this whole matter is I feel like here two families have had a major tragedy impact them, one lost someone they loved and the family is dealing with so much grief, loss, and mixed emotions. And instead of trying to help this family, the media and various special interest groups are tearing the public apart, dividing communities when in reality, we should be taking a step back and offering our support for this tragedy.
I'm appalled by remarks that I have heard or discussions that have nothing to do with the real incident, but are making headway from all this. The Black Panther groups have called a bounty on the man, condoning violence and watching the interview with Anderson Cooper, the leader clearly expressed an eye for an eye, while I am outraged with the Trayvon Martin shooting and that this young man shouldn't have been shot, I don't feel like an eye for an eye is appropriate.

This is 2012 and clearly some human beings have not learned from the global mistakes humans have made in the name of religion, racial differences, etc...which brings me to how am I as a parent suppose to raise my children to believe that we need to treat everyone with respect and kindness, when that is clearly not shown on a national or even global level?
Racism isn't something that we are born with, it is taught and here there are campaigns to stop smoking, to eat healthy, but where are the campaigns to promote equality to prevent racism. It is a global epidemic and we are all at war until it is stopped, until we finally wake up and confront our own fears. We need to get over the idea that somehow perfection exists because it doesn't, no one is perfect, we all have flaws in some way, shape, or form, but we should respect each other and celebrate the diversity that does exists.

I suppose all I can do, is to show my children through my examples and hopefully they will come to see and value the world and people in it. When I look at someone, I don't categorize them into groups, because clearly I don't want to be categorized myself.

When I was leaving Atlanta outside of one of the MARTA stations, a young man in dirty cloths approached me asking if I wanted to buy his MARTA ticket that had 10 rides on it, he scanned his card to show me that it really did have 10 rides on it, but I explained that I was leaving and just need the one ride to the airport.
He said he was homeless and hungry, had this card, but no cash...whether or not he really was I don't know. As I was getting my ticket, another man came by and ask if he was bothering me and did I need help, to which I said no thank you, I was just looking at the map to make sure I get on the right train.
I didn't need any help, and I didn't need to buy this kids card, but as I left, I handed the young man all the change I had, which was about $11, whether or not he needed it for food or something else, I don't know, it is not my business. He thanked me and told me I was kind and I said, no I just hope someone would do the same for me if I needed it and when you can, to which he interrupted me and said pay it forward, I nodded and said goodbye.
As I was getting on the MARTA train, I thought did the man ask me for help because it looked like I needed it or because this young man was hanging around me and was black? I will never know, all I know is here was someone who didn't come out asking me for money, he offered me a trade, which I didn't need. I didn't feel obligated to give him money nor did I give him the money to leave me alone, or because I felt sorry for him, I felt neither of those things... and I wasn't even thinking about it, but as I was walking towards the gate, I gave it to him because I felt it was the right thing to do at that moment. And perhaps one day, he will be able to return the favor to someone else.

Could this young man tried to have hurt me? I doubt it, there were lots of people around and during this time I never felt like I was in danger from this young man and I think sometimes we overlook our instincts. I know that for me personally, each time I have ignored my instincts, it has come to bite me in the arse...clearly they are there for a reason, but most often times we ignore it because we don't want to be rude or whatever the reason is and so our mind somehow manages to rationalize the feelings to be ignored. I think I could have saved myself from many past incidents had I simply listened to my instincts.

I also think we have to keep in mind that the media can portray anyone how they want that person to be portrayed, good or bad, all we have to do is look at political campaigns to realize that....and these influence us extremely, which I think is important. As a public citizen, I am outraged that politicians are using this event for their purposes, that racial groups are using this event to promote themselves when in reality they are adding more grief and unnecessary stress to the Trayvon family.
What needs to be focused on is Trayvon and why he died, the man responsible needs to come out, to take responsibility and for the most part, I think that is all that people want to hear - the truth, no one will possibly ever know what happened, but whether or not the man responsible is held accountable in a court of law is yet to be known, but he will be held accountable at some point in his life, karma does catch up with you.
I feel like here in all this, is an opportunity for a nation to stand together, help this family heal their wounds, but instead we are degrading this life that has been lost with all this negative energy and it is heartbreaking to watch. I offer my condolences and prayers for the Trayvon family, that they find some peace and goodness out of this tragedy.

"I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality.... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: