Thursday, April 12, 2012

Planting the Seeds.....

Lately, at bedtime after we've read, my little man has said, "don't forget to plant the seeds for good dreams." And so I asked him if it help keep the bad dreams away and he replies, "oh, yes, mommy, it works!" I smiled and I'm glad, it isn't often that the kids have bad dreams, but it seems when they do have them, it is hard to get them back to sleep.
And I've tried almost every trick I could think of to help them, dream catchers, monster spray, pictures under the pillow, etc.... and they always said it wasn't helping.
So, since the kids help us so often in the garden, I thought how about we "pretend" our dreams are seeds.
So each night, I take out the "weeds" (any bad thoughts/dreams) and then we close our eyes and think of good things we want to "plant" (dream about) and I select five "seeds" (dreams).
I "plant"(pat on the head) each seed somewhere on their head and then I rub the seeds in and water the seeds with a kiss. I've been doing this with the kids for the last few weeks and tonight as I almost forgot, I was reminded.
And as I did each movement, I saw the smile widen across my little man's face and my heart was full. I went into my sweet pea's room and so with her continually reminding me that she is "7," a "big" girl, I'm not sure if she thinks it is hokey, so as I wished her goodnight, she says, "you haven't planted the seeds for good dreams, you have to do it, it is my favorite thing, you know."

And so of course I plant the seeds and wish her good-night and as I sit in the silence, it is in these little moments, reminders of sweet innocence that melt my heart and forever touch my soul.
I could have days where I'm stressed about things not working as expected, like today or upset about something so small, but it is those pure moments with my kids that make everything else seem so inconsequential.

"Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count." -Albert Einstein

No comments: