Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Almost there......

This past weekend we finished building rain barrels.....and I'm pretty excited, I'm not talking one or two rain barrels....we completed something around 40, even had an assembly line going.
 The hub is part of a watershed group and in conjunction the city helped set up a rain barrel program, so most of the rain barrels were pre-ordered from residents, the hubs was in charge of assembling them. We then purchased eight barrels from the guy we get them from and made those, some of which we sold as part of an effort to raise funds to pay for two registrations fees for two of the teachers so they can attend the International Montessori Congress in Portland, OR.

I'm pretty excited, so far we are only short $190 from our goal, it is awesome that we have such generous friends and family willing to help support a teacher. The school doesn't know we are doing this, and it is really just three families that are working together to help cover the registration costs, but I think it is an important conference and our school should be represented.We are planning on sending the one teacher that all three of our children have in common and another teacher and I wish we could arrange to cover their travel costs as well, but I think this is a great contribution and start.
I'm just so overwhelmed by the number of friends and family who were willing to help us in this effort, I'm extremely grateful.

Also, I just recently checked the video entry I made for the Montessori Elevator Speech contest and was shocked and surprised to see the number of views....I don't know if it is a joke or computer mistake or what, but there is over 79,000 hits and I simply can't believe it. If you haven't seen it....check it out





“Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are.”
-  Mark Zusak

Update: Since our initial idea to raise money to send teachers to the International Montessori Congress - we presented how much was raised and other parents thought it would be good to ask parents as well, so an email went out and we raised enough to send more teachers and the school district decided to help cover registration costs too as well as send our new principal. I'm so excited for our school and that we will be well represented at this huge international event. (June 2013)

No comments: