Wednesday, May 1, 2013

One Big Heart

Sometimes we get to witness small acts of kindness, sometimes we get to be the giver of those acts and if we are lucky, maybe even the recipient, but for the most part it is an unexpected thing.This evening we came home and the kids went to wash up and get ready for bed. And then we hear a scream and sobbing, the hubs got to my sweet pea first and so I asked what happened, "the fish is gone," he says. "Oh, well we've had him a long time," I respond. "No, he says, literally the fish is missing, the fishbowl is on the floor, carpet is wet and the fish is gone. I think the Yoder ate it."

We looked at the cat and asked the cat if it was Yoder, which he "meowed" and considering Yoder was hiding, we are pretty sure it was him. My sweetpea was upset and as she is picking up the pieces of colored pebbles off the floor, she is crying and I try to understand because it is a "pet," but I'm thinking it's just a fish, you can't cuddle a fish, why all the tears, it's not like we can't go to the store and get a new one for $2.99 (I don't say this of course). And then without a moment's notice, my little man walks out of the room and comes in carrying his fish bowl.
He stands in front of his big sister and says with lots of emotion in his voice, "Sissy you can have my fish, don't be sad." I look at my hubby, he looks at me and together the kids find a spot for the fish and she gives him a big hug.
My wee man gracefully walks out of the room and I can see he is about to cry, so we follow him out and tell him what a selfless and kind thing that was and how proud I am, then ask if he is sad about it because I don't want him to be sad either. He tells me no, he is just going to miss looking at his fish. He says, "it felt good to make her sadness go away." And the hubs and I just squeeze our little man.

As any mother I love my kids to pieces and of course I think my kids are great, funny, smart, kind, etc...but it is in these little moments that I get to witness that just overwhelm my heart with joy. And I know this is just a freaking fish, but it makes me so proud that this little boy without a thought about his own feelings, just gave up his fish to ease the hurt of his sister. And yes we will most likely get a new fish for my sweet pea and my little man will get his back, but I didn't tell them any of that because it would have taken away what my little man was trying to do, so for now my little man can be the hero of the night.

"It's that wonderful old-fashioned idea that others come first and you come second. This was the whole ethic by which I was brought up. Others matter more than you do, so 'don't fuss, dear; get on with it.” - Audrey Hepburn

No comments: