The students line up and water is poured into two glasses of two eighth grade students and then pass that water on to other eighth graders and they in turn pass it on to the sixth grade and they pass the water onto the third graders and they pass it on to the younger students. The water represents the knowledge that gets passed down from one student to another as well as all the knowledge they have gained. It is an emotional time, especially for those eighth grade students who are entering high school.
I love our school and my wee man said, "why did they have to play sappy music, I thought I was going to cry" and I told him, "me too." I think of those parents who have the eighth graders and who have spent all of their formative years at Cowles with this great community of teachers and parents and what a change it must be. And then it makes me realize how quickly time has passed with my own - my oldest going into fifth and my youngest now moved up to fourth. Where are my babies, my curious little creatures that always wanted "one more." One more push on the swing, one more bed time book, one more lullaby, one more wish...and now it is me asking for one more good night kiss or hug.
I'm so proud of the all the great students today and ever so thankful of our school community!
"Children must grow not only in the body but in the spirit, and the mother longs to follow the mysterious spiritual journey of the beloved one who tomorrow will be the intelligent, divine creation, man." - Maria Montessori



No comments:
Post a Comment