Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's A Go.....

I heard from the transplant team that I have been accepted as a living kidney donor for my mother. So, the procedure will be scheduled in the fall, possibly September '09 as I graduate from my master's program in August and I just want to wait till I finish that way it is one less thing to worry about. If by chance my mom needs the surgery sooner then by all means I would agree to the procedure.

I'm excited and I know I have a lot of planning to do to get everything in order with the kids and making it so Darren doesn't have to take that much time off work because I don't think we would be able to financially make it if he has to take six weeks off to care for me and the kids. I've been diligent about exercising and getting healthier that way my recovery will (hopefully) be quick, the transplant coordinator said that recovery can be anywhere from three to six weeks, so I'm hoping for the three, but will plan for six.

I have thought about "what if" my mom rejects my kidney and if that happens well, at least I did what I could and if I did nothing and something happened to my mom, there would always be the thought that I could have done something and didn't....so I know that the possibility exists that it won't work, but I also know that the same possibility exists for it to work and that is what I will focus on.
Any way, I wanted to share my big news - I'll post more closer to the procedure date so those who read this can keep me in their thoughts!

Blessed Be!

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile." - Albert Einstein

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news!! You and your mom will continue to be in my thoughts as you plan for the procedure.

Unknown said...

That's great news, Dena! I'll be sending positive vibes your way. :)

Anonymous said...

awesome news for you and your mom!!!