Friday, July 23, 2010

Cousins

My cousin has been visiting from New Zealand, he leaves next Wednesday and it's been lovely having him visit. We went to Jasper Winery to listen to music and our friends (Jami and Jim) met us there, it was a great time catching up with all and chatting. Then he stayed over night with us and we chatted until the early morning hours (I saw the newspaper delivery guy) and watched the thunderstorm roll in. It's been ages since I've been up that late and considering my little ones would be awake in a few hours, we finally went to bed. I'm doing pretty well considering, but we'll see how that lasts later today.
We shared memories, talked about what's been going on since the last time we saw each other and just talked. The last time he was here in Iowa was 10 years ago, Darren and I had just started dating (7 months) and I was still in college.
I've seen my cousin on both trips we've made to New Zealand, but it's amazing how differently life has been through these years. We had a bbq for him last weekend and I invited a few friends and family over and last night, he said how great it's all been and how beautiful my life is (and it is). And it hit me, life isn't about those big moments or waiting for what's next, it's the accumulation of all the small, quirky, everyday stuff that give your life meaning and flavor. And my life is beautiful and full because of the people I surround myself with, my friends, my family, my children - those are the real relationships and I can't push relationships with those that really don't have an interest in our life.
It's nice to have him here and just spend that time with one another, I will miss him greatly when he leaves.

"Waiho i te toipoto, kaua i te toiroa - Let us keep close together, not wide apart" - Maori Proverb

No comments: