I recently made two different soups, both of which were super easy to make and most importantly delicious! I'll share the recipes here, I didn't take any photos, but these were good and have now made it into my collection of recipes.
Italian Gnocchi Soup
1 lb Italian Sausage (I used ground graziano italian sausage)
2 cup water
1 16 oz gnocchi
1 14 oz beef broth
1 can of cannellini beans
1 14 oz italian style stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
In a large pot, brown italian sausage (I like to add some white wine when cooking italian sausage and I also used a variety of spices, such as oregano, basil, garlic, rosemary). Once sausage is done, add 2 cup water, broth, gnocchi, tomatoes, cannellini, and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat till gnocchi floats - pour into bowls and sprinkle cheese on top. Serve immediately. I typically serve this with focaccia bread, you'll be surprised at how great this soup is.
African Chicken Peanut Stew
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves*
*(I cooked a whole chicken the night before and used the shredded chicken from the chicken for the soup, which I also used the chicken stock from boiling the chicken instead of browning it in a skillet)
1 onion, chopped
2 red bell peppers, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
3 cups sliced carrots
4 cups chicken broth, or more as needed
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup brown rice
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
Either brown the chicken in a skillet or you can do what I did, which was cook a whole chicken the night before and used the shredded chicken from the chicken for the soup, transfer the chicken into the slow cooker. Add the onions, peppers, and garlic.
Stir the crushed tomatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, chicken broth (I saved the chicken stock from the night before), curry powder, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, and black pepper into the slow cooker.
Set the cooker to High, and cook for 5 to 6 hours, or cook on Low for 10 hours. Stir in additional chicken broth throughout the cooking time if needed.
Mix in the brown rice 3 hours before serving, and mix in the peanut butter at least 1 hour before serving. Shred chicken meat (if you haven't shredded it) and serve hot. I also like to make some additional rice that I don't put in the crockpot to serve with.
The aroma of this dish is wonderful and all the medley of spices and peanut putter go together well.
"Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity." ~Voltaire
No comments:
Post a Comment