Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Amazing Game

This past weekend, we went to Chicago to watch the test match rugby game between the USA Eagles and the NZ All Blacks and what a fantastic game. The All Blacks dominated the game, but that was no surprise, I anticipated a clear win. The kids enjoyed the game, both of them were on their chairs screaming and cheering. My wee man has yet to stop talking about the game. The American team played with all their hearts and they played well - what I enjoyed was the crowds. I didn't hear any booing or name calling, it was just a great crowd enjoying this opportunity to see the world class team. Solider Field was sold out - 62000 fans enjoying a rugby game. I felt somewhat torn as I have dual citizenship with USA and NZ and I think what I enjoyed most about the game was hearing the New Zealand national anthem being sung on US soil and then in turn singing the US national anthem - for me it was an awesome moment.




 My mum got a bit emotional hearing the New Zealand anthem being sung in Maori - she wasn't expecting that and I think it ties you back home, which at least that is how I felt. I've spend much of my life living in the US and I love living here, but at times my heart and soul yearn for New Zealand and I can't explain it. I've always felt torn between two places, lost not quite fitting in one or the other. When we left and I knew it would be a long time till I returned, I've always had an absence in my heart - a tug to go back to New Zealand and thankfully I've married someone who would move there and we have discussed it. I have my NZ passport ready in case I do see a job opportunity and definitely have and would consider the move there, but it is such a big move.
I hesitate to do it to my children. Not because they wouldn't adjust, I know they would love it and enjoy it, but I grew up not being close to my extended family (my dad's and my mum's) and it is hard - no matter how hard you try, you can't replace those bonds with grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles. Which is kind of ironic and sad because we have essentially no relationship with certain parts of the extended family, so it shouldn't matter, but I guess it boils down to I stay because my kids have relationships with their grandparents, and I hate the idea of taking that away regardless of how often they see any of their grandparents. 
In today's digital environment, I know that they would still have a relationship and I still had a relationship with my relatives, but you lose a connection and so when my cousin or family comes to visit from New Zealand, I light up because it reminds me of home and everything good that I still hold on to - for me that connection is deep and when I'm close to reminders of home, a part of me feels restored.
We are trying to plan for a trip to New Zealand with the kids and it will be stretch to send four people over there, but I want them to see it, experience it and then maybe we can discuss moving after they have been there.
Anyway, I was glad to witness this great sporting event and be part of the many fans cheering on the greatest team ever. I hope that Americans got a taste for rugby and it makes them want to see more of the USA Eagles - it would be good to see more rugby being broadcasted, not just because of the All Blacks, but because it is a great sport to watch.

No comments: