Sunday, November 2, 2008

Election Day Drawing Near

Election Day is near and the media is already projecting who the winner is and in all honesty, I hate discussing politics, because people get so emotional about it, it is like you can't even have a rationale conversation, but since I'm not really conversing here, I wanted to rant and that is what I'm going to do.

First, I was drawn into Obama immediately, I was so excited when he won here in Iowa and indeed I thought that I would vote for him, but I have changed my mine....so now you must be thinking that I'm voting for McCain...at this point, he is out too.

I'm going to vote third-party this election. I am so disgusted with the way both campaigns have run that I really don't believe we are not living in a democratic society, it is biased and it is heartbreaking and both camps should be ashamed, these are the two candidates that are suppose to be our next leaders...seriously? And not to mention that third-party candidates don't get any coverage, even if their ideas are sometimes better.

But here is what really bothered me about Obama, one was his experience, since he has been campaigning most of the time, he has only spent about 146 days in the senate and the other issue I had was the Reverend White incident, how can you honestly say you had no idea of the beliefs and thoughts regarding the person whom was an advisor and has played a role throughout your life, for me, I would have had more respect for him had he been honest about it and frankly Obama is just saying what people want to hear. The other issue I have is the media has purposely withheld information regarding Obama when they wouldn't give McCain the same and considering I got my undergrad in mass communication and journalism, I was taught that you don't pick a side and that sadly isn't the case, here is an article that I found interesting http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZDFkMGE2MmM1M2Q5MmY0ZmExMzUxMWRhZGJmMTAyOGY=

Now don't get me wrong, there have been things McCain has said that I think, seriously and I think his choice of vice president was purely to get him up on the polls, she has been more of a disappointment than anything else, so I decided about a month ago that I would vote for one of the many third-party candidates.

It would be my way of saying, I'm tired of this government bullshit and popularity contest, which that is what this is boiling down to and then the comment that Biden makes regarding Obama. "Mark my words. It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking," Biden said.
"Remember I said it standing here, if you don't remember anything else I said. Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy. And he's gonna have to make some really tough -- I don't know what the decision's gonna be, but I promise you it will occur. As a student of history and having served with seven presidents, I guarantee you it's gonna happen," Biden continued.


Okay, that was scary...and granted I think any future president is going to be tested, but really, this is what you think of your running mate? Yet, it got me thinking that perhaps the democratic party is using Obama as a sacrificial lamb...they have made so many comparisons about Obama and JFK and even with comparing his wife to Jackie O, Obama will have two small children when he takes the presidency and so did JFK....so it makes me wonder if there is someone who knows something more and will there be an assassination attempt on him if he gets in? I really hope not, but there are indeed some backass people in this country and if that were to happen, will American people unite as they did when JFK died or will it tear us apart?
Or if by chance McCain does pull the votes to win, will it create turmoil within or will people shout racism or cheaters? We are indeed living in a historical moment, there is no doubt that history will be made on Tuesday, but are we prepared to deal with the outcomes regardless of who takes office, it will be a battle ground for either.
And as I am continually told, that a vote for a third-party candidate is a waste, they have no chance of winning, true, yet I hear from so many that they feel the same way as I do, but they can't vote third-party, well perhaps if all of us who felt the same way did vote third-party, there could have been a chance for real change and for me, I'm voting for the candidate that best aligns with my views.




"The key to change.....is to let go of fear." - Rosanne Cash

2 comments:

Donna said...

"that a vote for a third-party candidate is a waste, they have no chance of winning, true, yet I hear from so many that they feel the same way as I do, but they can't vote third-party, well perhaps if all of us who felt the same way did vote third-party, there could have been a chance for real change and for me, I'm voting for the candidate that best aligns with my views."

Damn right. That really pisses me off. And because they are like that and have these "ideas" of what it means to be American makes me have such disdain for everyone.

Anyways. Hiya! I am MyUnique from the desmoines.momslikeme.com site. And I wanted to say that I greatly, greatly appreciate the awesomeness that is you :)

Only Me said...

thanks Donna - I appreciate your comments and enjoy reading your posts.