Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Deserving

For those that know me well, you know that I am not religious, but I am a very spiritual person and open to the wisdom of many religions. And with all that has transpired in the last few weeks, I am continually thankful for my blessings and I thank the higher spirit everyday.
I'm a big advocate for creative visualization and so when I want something, I visualize on it. When I pray, I don't ask for this or that - I clear my mind and simply state whatever it is that is troubling me and ask for guidance and strength. Yet everything that I have ever "prayed" or visualized has been answered and for that I am truly blessed and sometimes in the mess of life we forget to reflect on all that happens in one's life. There are indeed days when I feel life is not fair, but then I'm also quick to realize that I have today and in my life I am surrounded by wonderful people.
My dad shared with me that he has never prayed as hard as he has been the last few weeks and that things started to turn around for my mother when he started saying "Hail Mary's" and for those that may not know, my parent's house was once visited by many religious people because there was a sighting of the Virgin Mary in their home (several years prior to my parents owning it) and my mother would find various religious items buried in the yard, which she would leave. I never had an experience in the house, but my aunty did when she visited. So, I told him he shouldn't stop and that he should say them everyday. Yes, his prayers were answered, but that shouldn't stop him from continually doing it. And I guess I find that when people are in trouble, they often "pray," but are quick to slack off when things turn around, so I encourage my dad to continue his daily mantra of Hail Mary's.
I do believe in the power of prayer and I am thankful for all the people that prayed for my mother's recovery, it is a humbling but profound impact when people you barely know are cheering for you and I'm really thankful, so again thank you!
Anyway, the main reason for my posting today was merely to share something....I was reading my message of the day from my 365 TAO daily meditations, which is "Deserving" and I was struck by the message and wanted to share it. It goes as follows:
"It is not easy to worship. Simply going to a temple once a week to have a priest intercede on your behalf is not enough. True worship is a daily act of humbling yourself before your deity and offering a pure heart and holy words. It doesn't matter if we are "getting anything out of it." Whether there is a response is secondary. The mere act of devotion is its own reward. It brings transformation."
It struck me on many levels and I just found it to be true and beautiful, because for me it is the truth.

No comments: