Well in order to save some money, I looked up recipes for DIY projects and came across homemade laundry detergent - liquid or powder. As I read through the ingredients and instructions I thought, "I could do this" and I did.Here are the ingredients
Borox - 1/2 cup
Washing Soda - 1/2 cup
Washing Soda - 1/2 cup
Shaved bar of soap - 1 bar (for soap you want to use something that is not heavily perfumed, such as Ivory or I used Fels Naptha which is a laundry soap).
You want to use a cheese grater for the soap and then you mix all the ingredients together and stir for about 5-6 minutes till you have an almost fine powder mixture.
Each batch makes roughly 16 ounces and I made a double batch, you use one Tablespoon per load and can use an addition one to two scoops for heavier soils.
I found all the ingredients at the local grocery store and I even washed a load last night and it seemed to work just fine. There are recipes out there for liquid detergent and dishwasher soap, which I may attempt next .
Here is a picture of the final mixture

I found a website that breaks it down to about $0.03/load when regular detergent can run about $0.24/load. I have to say that it was rather easy to make and only time will tell if it is worth it, but go ahead and give it a try.
No comments:
Post a Comment