Over the weekend, the hubs went down to help the Keep Windsor Heights Beautiful Spring Clean Up and has volunteered to help set up the IOWATER program for the creek nearby and while he was doing that, the kids and I walked along the bike trail and picked up litter. Of course, it's not much fun, but the kids were my watch eyes and would point out anytime they saw a piece of litter and they were talking about being "earth helpers." It was surprising to see how much we collected, but I told the kids anytime we walk, we'll bring an extra sack that way we can always pick up litter along our walks. I had to laugh while listening to them because they are young and it reminded me of how much I wanted to "change" the world when I was younger, most of my reports in elementary school were about endangered species and wanting to help them out and then you get older.
We also installed a rain barrel this weekend, it's not the prettiest thing, but it should get the job done. We need one in the backyard as well. My parents took the kids out and my mom was telling me how my little man was going on about trash and was informing her what to recycle, she started calling him Mr. Recycle. And granted we may not be the most eco-friendly family, but we are trying and doing what we can now and hopefully along the way we will pick up more tips and eventually get there because even though we are one family, we are trying. And I hope that my children will see that and it will transcend to them later in life.
And watching them soak everything in has inspired me, I purchased a notebook for writing. I said that one of my goals for the year was to continue to write and I started and have slack off, so I figured if I have my notebook with me, I have no excuse because my issue is that creativity strikes me at odd hours, so now I can write it down where ever I am. And not to mention that the last several weeks I have been given many signs that is pointing me in that direction and I need to start listening.
"When you are a child, you believe you can change the world. When you are an adult, you realize the world changes you, and then when you are a parent you hope to be the change your children come to admire." - DFife
No comments:
Post a Comment