Well, we are the proud owners of two chicks - who will hopefully be full grown hens in six weeks. So this weekend we will be installing our privacy fence and making a chicken coop, the chicks will remain inside with us for a few more weeks till they are old enough to be outside.I'm excited, I remember my granddad having chickens in the city and getting the eggs out, so even though we are in the city, we are allowed to have chickens, but no rooster. The chicks won't produce any eggs for about six months, but we should get about one egg/day, which should be the perfect amount for our family.
They have been named by the children and they are excited, my sweet pea's teacher bought eggs/incubator and they hatched a week ago in the classroom. So, sweet pea has been able to see the eggs change, saw them hatch, and has been helping raise them and she got to pick the ones she wanted to take home.
They have also been great helpers so far, I think it should be a great experience for us all and I look forward to raising some hens. My little man did ask if we were going to be eating them, to which I said no....just their eggs and he said, good....I don't want to eat Shelly (his chick).
1 comment:
How exciting! I wish we had space in our backyard. I would love to have a few chickens. Can't wait to hear how it goes!
Post a Comment