Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Statewide Voluntary Preschool Program

The newly elected governor has proposed cutting the Statewide Voluntary Preschool Program, which beginning next fall, I won't have any children in preschool, so it won't affect me, but I think he is making a mistake.
I've discussed this in my blog previous and I know there are a lot of people against the issue and doesn't think it should be supported, but before it is cut, I think there needs to be considerations as to what the Universal Preschool Program is and what qualifies a "preschool" to receive the funding.
The president of our school's parent group sent out an email asking parents to send in testimonies to legislators, I've sent lots of letters to legislators, senators, the governor on various topics. I not only support the preschool program, but I support a total restructuring of the schools, which I didn't touch on, but here is my letter that I sent.

This is in regards to the Statewide Voluntary Preschool Program - I believe it will be a huge mistake in cutting the Statewide Voluntary Preschool Program, not because both of my children received this grant, but because early education is key to building a life long learner. I am a stay-at-home mother to two, one is in K and the other is currently in the PreK AM program at Cowles. If the grant was not available, my son would not be going to any PreK program because we would not be able to afford it. My husband works full-time, we do not qualify for any assistance programs because his income is higher than low-income levels, however, we struggle to make ends meet and the simple fact is it is because of this grant that my son is able to go. I work with my son on various learning components, but what he is learning that I can not teach is the social component of the Preschool program...he is learning how to share, how to cooperate with peers, how to take turns, and how to interact with other students as well as listening skills. The social skills a child develops at an early age is just as important and are critical in developing a healthy personality. When high-quality early-childhood is available this education can improve a child's economic and social outcomes over the long term and there are studies that prove this, which I highly recommend that all avenues are explored before cutting this program. Preschool programs play an important factor in building successful learners. The early education preschool grant for four year olds is a hot topic, some people feel tax money shouldn't be paying for preschool programs, but I think it boils down to how it is presented and what qualifies as a preschool program. First, it is referred to as the Universal Preschool Grant...well how does the state define "universal?" This can mean many things to different people and this is where the issues begin to rise...does universal mean free and available to all, does it mean affordable and available at reduced cost, or does it mean a subsidy or tax-break? Also, what preschools qualify for the program? What are the standards? All of those questions need to be answered before you blindly cut this program. Studies show that a montessori education leads to children with better social and academic skills and children who come out of a montessori education are 96% more likely to graduate high school....those statistics are higher than the State of Iowa's graduation average. Please consider this decision and the ramifications it will have if it is cut.

There are a lot of public programs and I understand when money is tight, you need to evaluate all avenues, but I believe that education is key and we are not doing enough when it comes to preparing the children of the future. Would my children be successful without the preschool program? Yes and No...because I was a stay-at-home mom I have been able to teach them various things to prepare them for school, their ABC's, counting to 100, some basic addition, colors, shapes, etc...however, when my sweetpea started PreK last year, it took her five months to feel comfortable enough in the classroom with the other students. When I would drop her off, she would cry, she didn't want to go not because of the learning, but because she was unsure about this new environment and granted she was in a montessori school, so the teacher she had last year is the same teacher she has this year, so she didn't have to go through the adjustment periods of a new classroom. She was familiar with the routine and the expectations of the classroom and she could focus on learning.
My little man, had an adjustment this year, but he adapted a lot quicker than my sweetpea. He will still come home sometimes and ask, why so and so didn't want to play with him or why this or that happened, but when he enters the school year next fall in kindergarten he will also know the routine and expectations of his classroom. The students will be familiar and again, he doesn't have to have the anxiety that he experienced in the first few months of the school season, which is another reason why I really enjoy the montessori methods.
My sweetpea will enter 1st grade and enter a new classroom with a new teacher, but she will see familiar faces and she will have the new teacher till she leaves 3rd grade. My children already have a zeal for learning new things because it is something that we have made important in our house and their school is supplementing that thirst by the various activities the children learn. I am lucky that my children were able to participate in this program and really I wouldn't have known about it until the school made me aware of it, I only wish that the legislators take what has been presented and really evaluate the issues before blindly cutting the program.

“The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist." - Maria Montessori

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Having Brandstad in office scares me. I read somewhere that he wants to focus on education which made me laugh since he doesn't think preschool is necessary and worth the investment. It's frustrating. My son is in the universal preschool program this year. My daughter turns 3 in May and I'm just assuming by the time she qualifies it won't be around. I think there are a lot of families who would make too much to qualify for assistance but couldn't really afford to pay for preschool. I'm not sure we could afford it right now. I think the thing that is so frustrating is they're so quick to cut valuable programs. I would love to know exactly where all of our state's money goes. I'm sure there are a lot of ridiculous uses of money that could easily be cut without a negative impact. I really hope they listen to the parents and educators who see firsthand how important it is! He's making too many drastic changes right out of the gate and I'm worried how it's going to affect our state!

Only Me said...

Thanks for sharing! It is scary, I read somewhere that the tax cuts he is proposing to give corporations and business amounts to what it costs to fund the Universal preschool program - Nice. I'm tired of hearing that education is important, but they are not willing to invest in education. It is soooooooo frustrating.