My kiddies gave me my mother's day present early, they each had a plant for me that they planted at school. And my little man says, "is it the best mother's gift ever?" and I of course, said yes. And then I said, "do you really want to know what the best gift ever is...." and his curious eyes widened and he said, "yes, what, what...." "you and sissy," I said. He smiled and gave me hug, and that is one reason I love being a mom. It is those innocent and simple moments that I cherish the most.
So of course it made me reflect on the day I first became a mother. I remember when I was pregnant that I had so many fears...would I be a good mother, would I know what to do...I had no motherly instincts would those kick in?
And of course, those instincts did....I don't know when it happened and perhaps it is just as you grow as a mom...from the first feedings, changing the poopy diapers, the first time they gaze into your eyes and squeeze your finger, to the first time they are sick...all of these moments adding up as you gain confidence in yourself. And then slowly with time, you change as a person...you grow from the individual you were before your children to the person you become after....and maybe it doesn't happen for everyone, but I can say I am a much better person after I had my children than I was before. They've taught me patience and my children make me want to be the best person I can be. I have more confidence in myself since having children, weird as it seems.
I'm not a size 6 anymore and I doubt I will ever again be that size again. I put my career on hold so I can raise my children and in turn had to make sacrifices, we changed our life for our children, but I've given birth to two most amazing, beautiful children who have changed my life for the better and I wouldn't change a thing.
I'm happy and proud of who I have become....I am a mother and I never fully understood certain things until I was blessed with mine. And I remember calling my mum one day and said, "I get it now....I didn't before, but I get it." So for me this day isn't a day for me, but rather a moment to reflect on what a privilege it is to be a mom....thank you to my babies for changing my views and me....I love ya!
And I can't really have a post without a special shout out to my mummers.....she has wiped my tears, given me kisses, scolded me, laughed with me, held my hand, shared stories, and much much more. I love you mom!
"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new." ~Rajneesh
"When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child." ~Sophia Loren
"It kills you to see them grow up. But I guess it would kill you quicker if they didn't." ~Barbara Kingsolver
No comments:
Post a Comment