Friday, August 19, 2011

Giving liberates the soul of the Giver....

I saw a business posting about an organization that gives loans to individuals across the world and they look for people to lend them these individuals or groups the money by lending as little as $25 or lending the entire amount of the loan. The local business said they have loaned out nine loans, six were paid in full and three are making payments, but I found the idea fascinating. These individuals or groups may not have the means necessary to obtain a traditional loan, but through the help of other individuals can pursue a goal or dream.
So, I made my first loan - it was $25, but hopefully with time, I can increase that amount. And the man was located in Peru, I selected him mainly because he was only $100 away from his goal of $880 and he only had two days left to reach it and within an hour, I got an email indicating he reached his goal with the help of 20 individuals across the world.
Mother Theresa said once, that if you can't feed the world, feed one and I felt like as much as I'd like to help hundreds of people, I can't, but I helped one and it felt good to know he reached his goal.
The organization is called Kiva and I hope you check it out. There are times when we are up and there are the times when we are down, so when I have the opportunity to help, I try. I can't explain the feeling, but I feel like when I give, somehow I'm making a small difference as cliche' as it is.

"Generosity is not giving me that which I need more than you do, but it is giving me that which you need more than I do." Khalil Gibran

1 comment:

Only Me said...

Update - the first loan I made was fully paid back within two months, so with the money that I used for that one, I lent it to another person on that site. Such a great idea.