Recently my wee man said he needed to share something with me. Not quite sure what I was about to hear, we sit and he informs me that he likes a certain girl. I respond with "what," your six what do you mean you like her? He tells me that he makes her laugh and this makes him happy and so he informs me that "you know, I have a crush." And as he is talking about her, I can see his facial expressions beaming, he is all smiles as he says her name.
So, I'm thinking how to do I handle this? I certainly remember my first crush when I was in kindy, but I don't recall sharing the news with my parents and who knows maybe I did. I'm glad that he feels comfortable enough to share this news with me, but really part of me doesn't want to hear a peep about it and then the other part of me wants to know every last tidbit.
And I think I have discovered the solution.....I will let my little man share with me what he wants. When he first shared the news, about two days later, I said, "so did your crush say say anything to you today?" to which, he would say what had transpired. Today, I said nothing and as we were approaching bed time my little man says, "you didn't ask me if so-and-so talked to me today?" So I ask him since clearly he wanted to tell me......and he tells me what happened as he has this twinkle in his eyes (oh the power of a crush).
He then informs me that with Valentine's Day approaching, he would really like to get her something special, which I say we can discuss it when it gets closer to that time. Then he tells me he plans on telling so-and-so and is going to ask her if she likes him........I want to say....NO don't do it (because of course if this little girl's feelings are not mutual I don't want his feelings to be hurt, but we all go through those hurt feelings)....then he says, "all it takes is courage and she thinks I'm really funny, I also made her a heart today with my name on it" and that is when I realize that my little man is not asking for advice, he is not asking for my opinion, he is simply sharing and opening up. So, then the hubby says, that's right, it just takes 20 seconds of courage (from that movie "We bought a zoo"). My wee man smiles and I tell him good luck and that if she doesn't share the same feelings that it is okay and he looks me dead in the eye and says..."Your boy is funny, don't worry."
And as he walks away, I think I'm not worried about him....I'm worried for myself because I don't know if I am ready for all this.....
“Your kids require you most of all to love them for who they are, not to spend your whole time trying to correct them.”
Bill Ayers
No comments:
Post a Comment