As I was walking into the local grocery store, I saw an older gentleman walking out.
I'm not sure why I initially noticed him, but I did as he casually walked out pushing his cart. If I had to guess he was in his late seventies or early eighties and as
he stepped out of the automatic doors, he stopped, turned to his right, raised his hand to his
head and saluted the flag. It happened so quickly that it took me a moment to realize what he did.
I was struck by what I witnessed, I was in awe and by the time it registered in my mind what happened and that most likely this man served this country and was still proud of that, I wanted to say thank you for the simple reminder, but before I could, he was out of sight and had already passed me.
What happened was so simple and he did it so casually like it was simply part of him and most of us probably walk past this flag without moments notice because I
know I have done so, as much as I hate to admit this...I never even realized that flag was there. I was moved by what this man did and his actions made me reflect,
made me wonder what that man endured for the sake of the American flag,
what had he sacrificed for the American flag and yet to still hold such
revere when so many do not.
I felt somewhat embarrassed that this flag had gone unnoticed, but I was also glad that I had witnessed this brief moment. It made me think of all the men and women who have given their lives so willingly for our freedom, it made me think of my grandfather, who I didn't even know served in WWII until he died. It made me think of my father and his service. In today's world, with the technology and convenience, we take for granted the many things that came before, we forget what was laid before us, what was fought for, what was sacrificed for....so thank you to the older gentleman for that brief moment that I was able to witness whether he noticed it or not. It made me pause and be thankful for all that has come before me.
"OUR DEBT TO THE HEROIC MEN AND VALIANT WOMEN IN THE SERVICE
OF OUR COUNTRY CAN NEVER BE REPAID. THEY HAVE EARNED OUR
UNDYING GRATITUDE. AMERICA WILL NEVER FORGET THEIR SACRIFICES."
President Harry S Truman
No comments:
Post a Comment