Wednesday, August 18, 2010

It's really been a year.....

It has been a year since I donated my kidney to my mom. I can't believe it has been that long and indeed it has been a roller coaster of ups and downs as most who've read the blog know. I remember leaving the hospital hopeful, but disappointed thinking I had somehow failed. They try to tell you that it is not a guarantee and that after the surgery it may not take and you try to prepare yourself as much as you can, but I wasn't prepared to hear that the kidney wasn't working and I didn't accept it.
She struggled for months and then faced another battle with the Norcardia, both events were small miracles in themselves. And just a few weeks ago she went in for one of her monthly checks with the transplant team and her levels are just as low as a normal healthy person. The doctors are indeed pleased with her results as am I. Happy One Year Kidney Day to my mother!!! I love you endlessly and so happy things are working properly! It just wouldn't be our nature to have things go smoothly and that is what makes us who we are.

I don't typically post flyers and such on my blog, but because chronic kidney failure is an issue close to me and the screening for CKF is easy, I would like to pass this information on....If you are in the Central Iowa area there is a kidney screening that is upcoming. It is open to anyone who is over 18 and has highblood pressure, diabetes or has a parent or sibling with a history of high blood pressure, diabetes or kidney disease. Information on the event can be found here or call 800.596.7943 to pre-register. The screening will be held September 15, 2010 from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm at the United Way Conference Center in Des Moines, Iowa

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” - Howard Thurman

No comments: