My kids have been learning about different holiday traditions at school. Most recently they have been discussing Chanukah. The classrooms made potato latkes and today I was a parent volunteer for my little man's class. I have never made potato latkes before, so this was even a new experience for myself and they were rather good, a bit bland, but good.
I have also picked up a couple different holiday books that focus on different traditions, tonight we read Hoppy Hanukkak and afterwards, my wee man says, "I wish we were Jewish."
And my sweet pea, says, "yea, me too, we could play the dreidel." And then she asked how we can become Jewish. Such simple questions, with such complex answers.
I told them that my great-grandmother on "nana's" side was Jewish, but that my nana was not brought up Jewish and so nana was not raised Jewish and neither was I.
Those that know me, know that we are not "practicing" a religion in our home, but we will raise our children to believe there is a higher spirit and to have a knowledge of faith. We want them to be respectful of every person, tolerant and loving individuals and to know that what you put out, comes back.
Will this cause confusion with my children? I don't think it will, but I'm no expert...we live in a diverse world and I want my children to appreciate that diversity, when they are adults perhaps they will find a religion that best suits them, for now I'm happy that they are curious about the different holiday traditions they are learning about. As a parent, I can't just say it...I too have to show my kids, our children aren't born hating others, they learn that behavior, so I try to remind myself..."if my kids were to only copy my behavior, is it something I would want them doing?"
It is easy to get caught up in our own world, but I don't want my kids to be ethnocentric - I want them to see that just because something may be different, doesn't mean that it is necessary wrong or right, but just appreciate the difference.
So, another holiday tradition that we will be adding is making potato latkes and if I can learn how the "how to's" of playing dreidel, perhaps that too. Our holiday traditions may be a mix of christian, wiccan, jewish, and more, but at least it will be interesting to say the least.
What holiday traditions will you be practicing this year? Feel free to share.....
"He who experiences the unity of life sees his own Self in all beings..." - Buddha
"When Jesus Christ asked little children to come to him, he didn't say only rich children, or white children, or children with two-parent families, or children who didn't have a mental or physical handicap. He said, "Let all children come unto me." - Marian Wright Edelman
2 comments:
My kids are 2 and 5 so we're really getting into more traditions. Our new tradition this year has been our Christmas book countdown. I wrapped 24 books about Christmas. Each night we open a new book and read it together. Your post has definitely made me think more about introducing them to other holidays/ways to celebrate. We don't practice a particular religion either but we did get the Little People nativity set so we've been talking about Jesus a lot this year.
Thanks Shelley! I love the idea of wrapping the books...we have been reading a different Christmas/holiday book each night, with the intent of saving "the night before christmas" for Christmas Eve, but I may have to try the wrapping next year. Thanks again for sharing!
Post a Comment