Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A New Year Upon Us....

With the New Year ever so close, it is definitely a time of reflection. 2010 has been a horrible year emotionally, which oddly enough all began in December 2009, okay, I can't say it all began then, but the spark was lit. A few relationships have dissolved and so I think it is time for a new start.
I'm good with my insights/intuition of people, I've always been good at reading people and for that reason, I've been careful with who I allow into my circle. And for some time I have not followed my intuition...which to some extent has left my guard down and for me to fall into the situations I've been in and the "anger trap." Ah, yes, let's just say I fell into this one too many times this year. A lot of it is stress, there are times when I definitely feel like my own life is in disarray, not all the time, but sometimes and sometimes I feel like my hubby doesn't hear/see me and so it is easy to just go on, so I stop opening up to him.
However, you can't really grow or move on to a new start till you recognize and deal with your own faults and I can't believe I'm doing this, but hey I want to move forward, not backward, so here it is :
  1. I don't recognize how sometimes I can come across to others - I've definitely been told that I can seem "cold or harsh"
  2. I can be dismissive
  3. I can hold people to high expectations/standards...this applies to myself too, I'm often harder on myself than others
  4. I sometimes focus on the details rather than the big picture
  5. I have an intense temper, when pushed to that level and I can be cutting
  6. It is very difficult for me to relax, something I've dealt with all my life...I'm tense
  7. I tend to hold grudges...I may forgive, but I definitely hold grudges unless it has been years and then I've just moved on
  8. I have difficulty communicating my feelings to people I care about, I can do it easily with pen, but I can't seem to verbalize it
  9. I can be stubborn
  10. I don't handle stress very well, I internalize it
  11. I don't let to many people get to close...hard to get to know
  12. My feelings get hurt rather easily
  13. Okay, this can go either way...emotional
  14. For the most part, I'm a conflict avoider...I will hold my tongue because I don't want to cause any pain or hurt to anyone
  15. I bottle my feelings up till I've had enough or pushed and so this ties into the above statement and number 5 and maybe even 7
And I'm sure there are more, but I think that is a good start...as I was writing the list, I wanted to take some off as I felt I could "justify" my behavior, but then I stopped myself because justifying it, is not facing it or dealing with it...so I forced myself to add it to the list. There are a lot of weaknesses and I think I would have a harder time coming up with strengths, but I will try.
  1. I'm a good listener and will do what I can to make someone feel better or at ease
  2. I'm empathic and concerned with others
  3. I'm good at reading people and can pick up on things that may not seem so obvious to others
  4. I can look at things from different perspectives...however this can also be a weakness
  5. I'm not afraid of hard work, if I put my mind to something I will do it
  6. I'm idealistic...this too can also be a weakness
  7. I will sacrifice and do whatever is needed for my children/family
  8. I'm a friend for life..my circle is small, but I will be a long-standing friend
  9. I like to do things for other people
  10. I will find my own way...I don't necessarily follow mainstream (also could be a weakness)
  11. I'm a good negotiator
  12. I prefer balance and harmony in my life
Okay, so my weakness out list my strengths....so what is next? Well, I need to work on the weaknesses and find a balance between the two. If I find myself becoming angry, I need to walk away, calm down and then re-enter. And I need to go to my old self thinking..that everyone has something to offer, even those that I have issues with, so what is next...
  • feed and embrace the strengths
  • face my weaknesses and seek to overcome them
  • talk through my thoughts or discuss with someone
  • take in everything - don't be dismissive
  • when I become angry, I lose - work through the anger before expressing it otherwise I fall into the anger trap
  • keep eye on big picture - if I find myself focusing on the details, take a step back and refocus
  • be accountable for my actions
  • be humble
  • assume the best instead of the worse
  • and last and probably the hardest of all....Relax
So, now that I've opened myself up and feel exposed to the world, I'm somewhat hopeful that I'm moving in the right direction. It's definitely not the easiest thing copping to your weaknesses, but I can't live with discord in my life and I need to find the balance. So here is to 2011, a new beginning to a better year!

"Life at any time can become difficult: life at any time can become easy. It all depends upon how one adjusts oneself to life."-Morarji Desai
"When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be."- Lao Tzu
"Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man." ~Benjamin Franklin

No comments: