The hubs and I will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary (this month)....yup 10 crazy, wonderful years and although marriage takes a lot of work, I love the life we have built together. At times, it doesn't even seem like it has been that long, but then I look back at all that has happened and how we have changed as individuals and as a family and I feel blessed.
So, with that said there has been a lot of talk regarding what the CEO of Chick-fil-a said in regards to gay marriage. Frankly, I am tired of hearing about it, I'm tired of seeing posts about it and even though I completely disagree with the views of this CEO, I still feel he is entitled to his opinion.
You can't force someone to change their beliefs, you can only hope that through life's experiences it may open eyes so they can come to see the ugliness of discrimination, can come to understand and see beyond. I don't want to live in a world where everyone has the same beliefs or opinions as I do, how could I grow as a person, how could I evolve or learn. Yet, when we ask someone their beliefs and it happens to be something we don't want to hear, why is it necessary to turn ugly ourselves. I support gay marriage because I have zero right in telling someone who they can marry - just like no one can tell me, I support gay marriage because there is nothing wrong with it. And I also support people who have conflicting views as mine because when I hear conflicting views from mine, it makes me stop and think and in some cases, I look further into the topic to and learn something new.
In fact, the reasons that many people use to justify not supporting gay marriage is inaccurate, if they simply took the time to investigate or get to know a gay couple perhaps they would realize that we all want similar things: a loving partner, a good relationship, and perhaps start a family or not, but either way, I support it. Life is hard, marriage is hard, but when we share the joys and sorrows of life with someone we love, it makes it that much easier, it is not my place to deny someone that right. Ask yourself, how would you feel if you were not allowed to be with your partner, if everyone told you that you were wrong, that it was a sin to love that person, how would it make you feel? I asked myself those questions and that is why I as an individual support gay marriage. I also hold out hope that someday those against it, will change their views and will come to see really that it is not up to us to judge or condemn others, that is not our job or position in life.
“The rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man are threatened.” - J.F. Kennedy
No comments:
Post a Comment