Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What would you do......

So, I saw a friends' post regarding tonight's Powerball jackpot and it make me think....What would you do if you won $320 million dollar jackpot with cash option of $213 million?
Imagine the possibilities - I have my list of "What would I do" written in my journal, it is something I've thought about once or twice and that kind of money, would you do good or would it corrupt you?

The husband and I have had conversations around and around on this subject, because who doesn't like to dream about winning that kind of money? First thing we would do besides all the common things, like get an attorney, financial planner, establish a trust, and pay our bills. We would donate a huge portion - we would redesign the kids school because that school is in need of some updating and expansion as well as try and establish a montessori-based high school. Another wish list item is purchasing land parcels for the Neal Smith Wildlife Refugee. Iowa was once all prairie and this state has destroyed 99% of its native prairies and since the Neal Smith Wildlife Refugee currently does that and has about 5,000 acres, why not just support an existing program. We would start our lavender farm as well as purchase land in various places, especially New Zealand, but not for development purposes....it seems people are all to often wanting to develop things without realizing what is happening and on occasion I look at the NZ property listings and get sad when I see hundreds of property listings on untouched land. The hubby wants to help no kill shelters, so we would do something with that and we also talked about setting up a scholarship program for the non-traditional student.
As for my indulgence item, it would be traveling around the world - taking the time to actually see and experience all the different cultures that the world has to offer, what are the similarities, the differences because at the end of the day, we are all not that much different. I would also love to treat my friends/family to visit to New Zealand and Australia. I'm pretty sure the hubby's indulgence item would be some type of custom 1940's pickup truck or high-end sports car, but besides that and setting up various college funds for our kids and some others, that would be it. I'm sure that kind of money would not come without some headaches and heartaches, but it is still fun to image all the things you could do.

No comments: