Thursday, February 7, 2013

Can We Do It......

We recently watched "Hungry for Change," a food documentary, which we've watched several of these food documentaries and I am always left feeling sick from all the crap that goes into our food. So, over a year and half ago, we have slowly watched what we purchase and stopped eating fast food, soda, etc....and during this process I'm lost 20lbs and have been able to keep it off (surprisingly I wasn't even trying to lose weight). 
Yet, something changed inside while watching this last food documentary and so for the first time, we are trying the "Real Food" challenge by not eating any highly processed food and more fruits and vegetables.

I went through our pantry and removed everything that had some of the toxic ingredients that they mentioned and surprisingly we only had about two bags worth. We started on Wednesday and besides the time consumption of preparing these meals, things are going well.
A friend of mine suggested spending one day just cooking the meals for a whole week and I think I may try that this weekend. I think the biggest challenge will be deciding what to have that week - I'm not very good at planning my meals out, usually it is "let's decide two hours before" if it isn't in the crockpot, but I'm willing to give a day to cooking for a week's worth of meals.

100 days of real food is our challenge and I will periodically post updates....can we do it? I think so, we sat down with the kids and they seem okay with it. Tonight I made kale chips, which I have never tried before and wow, those suckers were delicious and I'm wondering why I have never tried baking them before, but I'm glad I did now. The other fun cooking thing is I made a sauce from a tablespoon butter (real, unsalted), teaspoon of balsamic vinegar, and tablespoon of soy sauce to put over our asparagus and it tasted great over them.

The other thing I have noticed over the past week is that everything seems to be coming together in a positive direction....things that would normally upset me, haven't and I feel with my whole being that everything is as it is meant to be at this moment and all that is left for me to do is accept it, so I have and I am loving the results!

"If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place." - Lao Tzu

No comments: