Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My "Things I Want My Children to Know" list.....because there isn't enough out there already

Lately I have seen on social media sites the various "20 Things Mothers Should Tell Their Son" or "10 Things to Tell Your Daughter" and I've seen them take a satire approach and then those that get you all weepy-eyed and as a parent to both, I've enjoyed reading them. There are definitely points made that I can relate too.
So it got me thinking.....what would I share with my kids, do I differentiate the lists...one for my son and one for my daughter or would I tell them the same things? And so one evening after the kids went off to bed and I was sipping my cup of tea, I thought about it....here is my list (and I decided, my list applies to both my kiddies).....

  1. I will always love you - This one is easy, but I know at some point in your lives there will come a moment when you will perhaps question this or worry what we may think, either from something said, did, or whatever. Perhaps this is more appropriate for the "teenage" years or those moments when we may not get along...those times when we may not agree on clothing, music, friends, curfew, etc...just know that we may not agree on things, we may even argue, but I will always love you both "to infinity and beyond" that will never change.
  2. Sometimes life is not fair - at some point or another have all felt this way and I myself, have said, "this isn't fair, why?" and you know what life is not always fair, but the key is how you deal with it because ultimately it is a state of mine and not necessarily a good one. We all have dealt with disappointment, sadness, or challenges and everyone has a story to tell, but you can either blame others and "pout" or you let it serve as the desire to overcome whatever it is and I say let it serve as your determination to overcome.
  3. You are responsible for your happiness, not others - I have struggled with this, I don't like discord or conflict and often times would ignore my own feelings of happiness for the sake of keeping peace. Don't do this - you are not responsible for keeping others happy, you are responsible for your happiness and if you are not happy, then most likely others will see this and respond accordingly and if you are not happy, how can others possibly make you happy. It has to come from within.
  4. Go after your dream - yes I said it, if you have a dream go after it, now this doesn't mean to pursue a singing career if you are tone deaf. If that is the case, it doesn't mean you let go, perhaps you can become a song writer or something else, but if you are good at something and it makes you happy and it is your dream, pursue it, cherish it, and hold on to it. If you do, you will have no regrets. As people get older, often times the only regrets they have are those they didn't pursue....their dreams. 
  5. Do not purposely harm or be hurtful to others -  but don't take anyone's crap either.And you will come across people who will push your limits, who are mean-spirited, selfish, or whatever insecurity they have and will be forceful and/or demanding. Don't take that crap, stand up for yourself, but don't resort to their level either. Believe me, it will only make things worse. "Being a good person does not depend on your religion, status in life, race, skin color, political views or culture, it depends on how you treat others" - Unknown
  6. Remember your beauty - and yes this most definitely applies to my son as well as my daughter. You both are still so young and still show the innocence of childhood and your smile lets the beauty escape. As you get older and your body and face change, always remember your beautiful, that does not change. It took me a long time to feel comfortable in my own skin, because I didn't like this or that, so know you are beautiful just the way you are (hey isn't that a song).
  7. Read, read, read - I love that you guys look forward to visiting the local library and getting stack of books. It is easy to get lost in a book, that takes you to a faraway land or in the midst of a battle in outer space. The other great thing about reading, is everything is at your fingertips and you can learn basically anything from reading. There are many simple things in life and this is one of them, simple, but deeply satisfying.
  8. Be Patient -  I can see already that patience may not run in our family, I definitely had to learn patience when I became a parent and often times we all need to be reminded of this - the definition of this is as follows: the ability to wait calmly for something to happen without complaining or giving up. I like that! In today's age of instant gratification, a lot of patience is lacking, patience is a great thing!
  9. Don't take anything too personally - Believe me when I tell you that if you do, it will just bring you heartache. I've spent too many days hurt or upset about something said, did, or whatever because I took it personally. In the end, what others say or do is merely a projection of themselves and their own beliefs. And when you don't let it get it you and not care, you can't be subject to their projections. Look at someone who exudes confidence and ask them how they do it, most will tell you that they really don't care what others think of them because it doesn't matter.
  10. Always give your best - your best will most likely change from year to year or even moment to moment, but when you give your best it shines through, people see it and they want to be part of it. And it is just like your activities, I don't care if you place or win, all I care is that you do your best because when you know you've given it your best, you avoid self-judgement or regret.
  11. There is a hint of fairytales or magic in the world - the world is cynical and we are flooded everyday with negative news and reports. So know that it is okay to believe in fairy tales or magic...just remember that I found my fairytale when I wasn't even looking. It's okay to believe in all things good or have a positive outlook on life because you will attract those things to you. It is much easier to be negative and cynical than to be positive, so believe in the magic. “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.” - Roald Dahl
  12. Travel and learn about the world - go exploring and see the world, there are so many wonderful and fascinating places to see. If I could, I would make the world your school, showing you all the many people and places this world has to offer, embrace the culture or language and explore. Being a military brat, we moved a lot and I hated it, but it is one of the greatest memories I look back on - so go out my child and see the world.
There are definitely many more things I would include on this list, but I think that is a good start for now.

No comments: