Sunday, July 28, 2013

Forgetting to listen

Sometimes all it takes is listening; problems don't need to be solved, issues don't need resolved, but all you need to do is vent and let it all out. I forget this sometimes, well, maybe often. When someone comes to me to talk, I try to give advice and try to "fix" whatever is bothering the person.
And lately there has been some stuff going on with my siblings and I've been trying to avoid the whole thing because I don't want to get dragged into whatever is going on - it is frustrating and my parents don't need the added stress.
And earlier today as I was on the phone with my sister, my frustration came out and then soon afterwards my parents came over and my frustration came out again. Just because some things should be said, doesn't mean that it should be and I told my mum that she couldn't complain to me and of course, after she left, I realized how selfish that was on my behalf. I realized that maybe all the complaining wasn't necessarily her looking to fix things, but rather her venting, letting it out and I failed to see that. I have been trying to ease her feelings by giving her advice, when perhaps all along she is just venting. Same with my siblings, I'm a fixer - when you come to me with an issue, I will point out other options.
I come from a line of highly passionate, full of emotions, often defensive, open-hearted family. We are close-knit, sometimes weary of others, but often full of spirit and will wear our hearts on our sleeve if you look close enough and so I know that what I said hurt my mum, which was not my intention. And so I called to apologize to her, that I was wrong in saying she couldn’t complain to me and that I realized that maybe she is just wanting to vent her frustrations, but before I could squeeze in my apology, she yelled and hung up on me. I rang right back, was about to yell right back at her and then I stopped, because I realized that sometimes we just don't see at the time how our minds can blow things out of proportion, we are quick to assumptions and overgeneralizations, so I stopped myself and have left things alone. I realize that I simply forgot to listen and instead tried to reply when at the time perhaps all she wanted was to be heard.

“The most basic of all human needs is the need to understand and be understood. The best way to understand people is to listen to them.” - Ralph Nichols

No comments: