In cities across America, people are killed on a daily basis, victims of gun shootings, gang violence, hate crimes, or whatever the ultimate case may be. The case with Trayvon Martin and Zimmerman, could have been prevented and ultimately what happened was sad for everyone involved. Yet, this was one incident, there are many more untold stories, many whose lives have been taken simply for being there at the wrong time, where are their stories? Where is the outrage from the American people? Oh, that's right, there is none, no one cares unless it is getting the attention of the media.
I found an article by the Huffington Post, which asks, "when the media would tell their
similarly tragic stories of lives lost to gun violence." During the Zimmerman trial over 50 people will killed to gun violence in Chicago alone. Where are their stories? Where is the outrage for those victims?
I think what I found most disturbing with the coverage of the Zimmerman trial and what happened to Trayvon was the media's portrayal and almost push for riots, "will their be riots after the outcome is read," "how will the African-American community feel," etc......
I felt like instead of dividing and trying to ignite fear - why not use this as a time to unify people, but instead looking at my Facebook news feed, it elicited anger, sadness, and even some unnecessary comments. I didn't remark or post any of my thoughts.
There needs to be a shift in our thinking if things should get better, just not sure that is going to happen.
“I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.”- Mahatma Gandhi
No comments:
Post a Comment