Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Whirlwind of a Week

Well the surgery was last Tuesday and if you were to ask me or my mother if we were to do this over......the answer would most likely be no. I don't regret the decision I made to donate my kidney, but I'm definitely thinking it should have been done either later and another location. I won't go into details, but from the moment we were called back into pre-op till recently, it appeared to us that the ball was dropped. I feel a bit jaded from the whole experience and unfortunately my mother has been emotionally and mentally drained.
I did not want to writer earlier because it has been a emotional roller coaster, but thankfully it appears things are finally looking better for my mom's condition. The kidney was working, but not producing urine about six hours after the surgery and it went from bad to worse to bad to worse and then we finally got some positive news on Monday night that they found a blockage. They have relieved some pressure and she is producing urine, but they will have to do surgery to actually fix the blockage.
Besides being sore, I'm doing well. I definitely didn't do well with the medicine and was sick to my stomach for several days and I even stopped taking the pain pills after the second day from being released, I'd rather tolerate some pain versus throwing up. I try to visit my mom everyday and get her to laugh, the kids are definitely doing a great job doing that. In fact, I was laughing at something and said, "Stop you are making my incision hurt," to which my little man said, "but you don't have any kidney, it can't hurt." It made me giggle even harder.
The hubby has been doing a good job of taking care of me. And I'm definitely grateful for all the wonderful well wishes that we received for myself and my mother from all over the world. I also want to thank my wonderful network of friends - thank you Porhsia and Paul, Mary, Melinda and Andrew, Rene, Carol and Bob and Allison and Mike for bringing dinners over to us the past several days. My husband definitely appreciated the kind gestures and the food was all wonderful. I'm indeed spoiled with such wonderful people that surround me.
Anyway I wanted to provide an update, please continue to keep my mother in your thoughts as she continues to push through this.


"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel" - Maya Angelou

No comments: