Monday, August 31, 2009

A Big Day for my Sweet Pea

Today, my little girl is beginning her first day at Preschool - I can't believe it! She is only going part-time, but this is the start of it all and forever will she be changed. She will experience many "firsts" during this time - making friends, feelings hurt, but she will also become a little more independent. Her world will now be influenced from outside sources and no longer just mommy and daddy - I'm excited for her and also a little sad. My baby is growing. She is excited and can barely contain her excitement, which I'm happy for her.
If I thought I could manage teaching them from home, I would - it's not that I don't want her to experience school, I just think the entire school system needs a major overhaul...as a society we are not preparing our children for the future. We have horrible drop-out rates, countries continue to surpass our students and yet we as parents do nothing. I read a book for class called, "The Art of Learning and Forgetting" and it completely changed my view and it really does make me want to teach my children, but we are trying the Montessori program and will see how that works. I don't plan to rely on the teacher as the single person responsible for teaching my child, I will also be working with my sweet pea to in addition, but right now it is more for her to socialize at preschool, it is down the road that I worry. I'm trying to get my kids to be life-long learners and so we read everyday and they love their books.
So today I will walk with my little girl, give her a hug, and tell her to enjoy herself. It is indeed a big day for her, but an even bigger day for myself.

"Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands." - Anne Frank

No comments: