I received an email yesterday inviting me to attend an early education forum at the school...I think early education is important, so I went. The First Lady and Governor were there and it was the first of their "Milk Party" campaigns - it was not so much a forum, but a chance to tell us how grateful we should be for the current preschool grants and that if his opponent gets in office, the preschool grant will end.
Considering myself an independent and really not liking either of our candidates, I hate when politicians bash the other opponent, to me it comes off as tacky. I understand that the election is close, but seriously a forum to me is an exchange of ideas...he took questions/comments from two people in the room. It wasn't a forum and seriously if there weren't a campaign would he even be at the school?
The early education preschool grant for four year olds is a hot topic, some people feel tax money shouldn't be paying for preschool programs, but I think it boils down to how it is presented. First, it is referred to as the Universal Preschool Grant...well how does the state define "universal?" This can mean many things to different people and this is where the issues begin to rise...does universal mean free and available to all, does it mean affordable and available at reduced cost, or does it mean a subsidy or tax-break? And if tax money shouldn't be spend on preschool programs what about the tax dollars that is allocated for high school students to take college courses, you could make the same arguements.
We did get the preschool grant with both our kids, however, I knew nothing about the grant until the school informed us of it and all they said, was fill this form out - it is a first come, first serve basis and how it was explained to us was if your preschooler went 1/2 time then tuition was free, if your preschooler went all-day then you paid 1/2 of the tuition. So I am a supporter of this program, not because my children were able to partake, but because I believe that early education is important, it gives children a boost in their self-confidence, what they are learning, and so much more.
The montessori trainer gave the Governor a book on the Montessori philosophy and studies and mentioned that early education is not just in jeopardy, but that education as a whole and that montessori could answer and fix some of the issues, but no one listens....I hope he reads the book.
Studies show that a montessori education leads to children with better social and academic skills and children who come out of a montessori education are 96% more likely to graduate high school....the wait list at the school is two years. Doesn't that say something...that more and more parents want this type of learning for their children, but again the state isn't listening otherwise if they were, there would be more montessori schools.
My faith in the public school system has dwindled every year and why do I love the montessori philosophy? Because it focuses on the classical view of learning...that people learn from what they are doing...key word....doing.
The official theory of learning that most public education is built upon focuses on memorization, drills, exercises, tests and that you're not learning unless you can be seen working and not to mention that instead of our children learning they come home learning what they are NOT good at...it is a self-esteem breaker.
The montessori school provides opportunities to learn everything that is around the student, my sweet pea can tell you every part of the apple...not because the teacher read a book, but because every student took in an apple and everyday they did something different from washing, to peeling, to cutting, until the last day of the week when they made applesauce. My children love telling me what work they are doing, what they have learned and coming home to show me....that is learning and by starting at a young age it fosters that sense of empowerment and love for learning early on, which I think is important. Is montessori for everyone, probably not, but I think it would be a whole lot better if more schools began practicing under this philosophy.
Okay...off my soapbox for now.....
“Neither comprehension nor learning can take place in an atmosphere of anxiety." - Frank Smith
1 comment:
Early education is always a touchy subject with people.
Thanks for the post - very insightful.
Post a Comment