Sunday, March 20, 2011

Overlooking Mt. Eden

As I blog today with many others in support of "blog4nz" over the next 72 hours. My intent was to reminisce about my travels to the South Island, but since my husband is currently in New Zealand with the Iowa Rotary Club and has been spending some time in Auckland area. I thought I would quickly blog about a picture he just emailed me.
My remaining posts will be about the many adventures we had when we were there. This is my husbands first trip by himself over there (completely jealous) and his first visit to the North Island. When we have gone, we typically stay in the South Island, only because that is what I am most familiar with and family is there, but after his trip, whenever we go again as a family, we will have to visit the North Island.
So, as we were communicating via skype, he sends over this photo. It was sunset and he said it is overlooking Mt. Eden, a volcano. It's Maori name is Maungawhau, "Hill of the Whau Tree." It is one of Auckland's most famous landmarks. I know he is enjoying his time there, his host family is wonderful, which is no surprise because most Kiwi's that you meet are always warm and friendly. He had to rub it in my face that on his first night, he ate a giant bowl of hokey pokey, which is one of the best tasting ice creams EVER! I told him no more gloating or he can't come home, but knowing my husband, he would probably like to stay in New Zealand forever anyway.

No comments: