Here is my second post for "blog4nz," it is a little late, but the day is not over yet. One of my favorite adventures while we were visiting New Zealand, was going to Abel Tasman to go sea kayaking.
The only issue is that I have a fear of drowning, so for the most part, I stay away from water. The morning of our adventure was beautiful, the sun was warm and the air was crisp.
Our guide, was providing instructions to us when the panic hit me. I couldn't do it. I looked at my husband and our friends and said, I can't do it..."what if I fall in," "what if I capsize," "what if..." I am a horrible swimmer, will I drown? |
And the guide was empathic, trying to help ease my nerves and as I looked out and took in where I was and the beauty of this place, I looked at my husband and said, "get in." He started to talk and I said, "don't...just go." And we did...I paddled so hard and fast that when we hit our picnic spot, the guide said that was the fastest he had ever gotten to the secluded beach and I was just happy that I hadn't fallen in.
![]() |
The beach we paddled too......

I can't say that I have overcome my fear, but I certainly can say I met my fear head on and came out smiling!
"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore." - Andre Gide


1 comment:
LOVE Abel Tasman so wait for the day to return!
Post a Comment